International Lefthanders Day
Aug 13, 2021
Friday, August 13 is International Lefthanders Day! Are you a leftie or do you know someone who is? Being left handed is not so common- only 10% of the population is left handed. Unfortunately, many companies forget that not everyone is right handed. What do you do when you’re left handed and can’t find what you need to perform everyday tasks? Or do you know of anyone who could use a fun gift that’s left handed? Here are a few recommendations on where to shop and what to buy for the left hander in your life.
Lefty’s the Left Hand Store is a San Francisco-based business that has been dedicated to serving left handers since 1978. They offer products such as left-handed pens, scissors, measuring cups, knives, garden tools and much more. They also have fun novelty items such as shirts and signs for left handers.
The Strategist has compiled a list of gadgets made specifically for left handers. It includes left-handed measuring cups, pens, journals, coffee mugs and more.
Readers Digest also has a list of their 13 favorite products for left handed people. Can openers, corkscrews, and keyboards are a few among the list that may not be thought about otherwise, but are readily available for the lefties who need them.
Here are a few interesting facts about left handers in honor of Left Handers Day:
- A study has found that left handed people are twice as likely to experience migraines as right handed people.
- Our brains are cross-wired, which means the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and vice versa. Because of this, it is believed that left handed people use the right side of their brain the most.
- Lefties tend to excel in one-on-one sports such as tennis and boxing.
- A few notable left-handed celebrities include Jennifer Lawrence, Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Morgan Freeman, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber.
- Some of the world’s most innovative thinkers – Aristotle, Leonardo da Vinci, and Albert Einstein – were all left-handed.