National Coffee Day
Sep 1, 2021
September 29 is National Coffee Day for 2021 in the United States and Canada. Most true coffee lovers will really celebrate National Coffee Day every day, but this is the “official” holiday for it.
Did you know that coffee is the second most valuable legally traded commodity in the world? It is only behind oil! An estimated 2.25 billion cups of coffee are consumed worldwide every single day.
Legend has it that wild coffee plants originated in Ethiopia centuries ago. Supposedly, an Arab goatherd was confused when his flock of goats began to act strange, and he sampled the berries from an evergreen bush they had been feeding on. When he experienced the exhilaration of coffee, he spread the news around the world.
The coffeehouse is said to have originated in the 15th century in Mecca and Istanbul in the 16th century. They were meeting places for men to converse, play games, sing, dance, discuss politics and news, and smoke or drink. Coffee became ingrained in daily culture and began to spread throughout Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries. It even made its way to British colonies in America by this time and many islands around the world began to cultivate the magical caffeinated beans.
Are you looking to celebrate National Coffee Day? Here is a list of deals available from coffee shops in the area:
- Dunkin’ Donuts will provide a free medium hot or iced coffee with any purchase on September 29.
- Krispy Kreme is offering a free cup of coffee as well as a free original glazed donut!
- Pilot gas stations will offer a free small coffee with the Pilot App.
- If you frequent Starbucks, you should see an offer pop up on their app for National Coffee Day. Any handcrafted beverage purchase (grande or larger sized) will give you a coupon for a free drink on your next visit.
There are also some great local coffee shops in the CSRA that you should make a point to support if you are a coffee lover. Here are some of the most popular:
- Rooted Coffeehouse- 3116 William Few Parkway, Evans, GA
- Inner Bean Cafe- 139 Davis Road Suite C, Augusta, GA
- New Moon Cafe- two locations; 936 Broad Street, Augusta, GA and 116 Laurens Street NW, Aiken, SC
- Ubora Coffee Roasters- 1128 Jones Street, Augusta, GA
- Bodega Ultima- 353 Highland Avenue, Augusta, GA